Sunday, August 31, 2008

A.M. P.M.


Before I met Tom, I was a total night-owl. I would often stay up watching TV until midnight and I loved to sleep in until 10am or 11am the next day. Late afternoons and early evenings would be my "prime time" as my brain started to awaken and I found myself more alert.

Tom is just the opposite. Like his dad, he loves the mornings and he LOVES to wake up early. He is chipper and energetic while I am crabby and cranky. Tom would wake up, be ready to go, and essentially hit the ground running. In the event that we had to get up early for a roadtrip or something, I would often comment to Tom, "Can you believe all these people are out on the road already?!?" He would reply, "People like to get up early."

I couldn't understand why any reasonable person would voluntarily wake up at 6am or 7am, or eek(!), even earlier, unless you worked in construction or had some sort of (awful) employment which required it.

But since I've known Tom, I have really come to appreciate the value of waking up early. For one thing, you can accomplish so much more in the day. For another thing, like most animals, humans are diurnal (as oppose to nocturnal) so it is best to be productive during the day. Finally, as an added bonus, there are very few things that beat the crisp morning air.

3 comments:

Monica said...

i must admit i do feel much more productive and an asset to normal society when i wake up early.

however, it is against every fiber of my being to do so! i would much rather stay up late and sleep in!

-monica

Unknown said...

I share your love for the crisp morning air. - CSC

Kates said...

You know, I've actually been appreciating waking up early too! This semester I have mostly late classes, but I've been waking myself up early just to get things done in the morning. Yay!

-Katie