Saturday, February 28, 2009

3rd Trimester


Long gone is the "Golden Trimester," or more commonly referred to as the 2nd trimester. Now that I'm in my 3rd trimester, my recent list of complaints to my doctor includes back aches, hip aches, swollen feet, breathlessness, fatigue, acid reflux, and having trouble bending over to do anything! Ah, but in exchange, I got a big belly (this is very Faust-esque).

In mid-January, my doctor thought that I was measuring small (height of fundus), so she ordered an extra ultrasound just to make sure that the baby had enough amniotic fluid. The ultrasound revealed that my fluids were normal and that the baby was growing well. It was probably just a fluke that I measured small that one time - the baby could have been laying sideways.

At the end of January, not one, but TWO strangers asked me on the same day when I was due. I was so elated that I had tears in my eyes. Finally, someone had recognized that I was carrying a human being, rather than some junk in my trunk. If you'd look at me now, there's no denying it.

In February I did a glucose screening test to check for gestational diabetes. My doctor told me that my sugar and blood count looked good. In addition to a rotund belly, I can feel the baby move all the time. Like most fetuses, she's very active in the evening, right before I'm going to bed, and not-so-active in the mornings. I check her movement pretty regularly, especially after I eat something. It seems as if my left hand is permanently planted on the left side of my belly, where I tend to feel most of her movements. I think she also recognizes her dad's voice. The other day her daddy was singing an old country song to her with his hands on my belly and she gave him a nice strong kick. Oh baby, we love you so much already - we can't wait to meet you!

A couple of weeks ago, Tom and I also took a tour of the Family Birth Center at OHSU and we will be taking a weekend-long Childbirth class next week. I am also in the process of interviewing potential doulas and mom has booked her plane ticket out for the baby's birth. Uncle Rob & Aunt Marian's stroller and carseat (a baby shower gift to us) has recently arrived, and Tom's parents are looking to fly out here at the end of May. Things are shaping up in anticipation of the little one!

3 comments:

Thomas said...

You've grown a bunch in the belly. Now you've got to wear my shirts!

Monica said...

loved the updates. your baby is super lucky to have you as a mom! good luck in this last stretch...she'll be here before you know it!

-monica

Frances Rae said...

Try those papaya enzymes for the acid reflux. And you are welcome to come by any time for a pedicure -- since I know it is hard to reach the toes and your feet are probably sore. I do a nice foot soak with essential oils, massage -- the works.

You look just gorgeous, and you are going to be such a good mama with all this practice you've been getting with Nealon!

Do you have a registry yet? Can't wait to meet baby Richmond!!